Letter from the Editor: Louisville Gone Viral

Editor-in-Chief Lainey Holland reveals the latest On the Record project.

Dear Reader, 

At the beginning of 2020, we had no idea what was in store. Just as our lives have evolved and adapted since March, On the Record has too. This semester, as educational instruction became virtual, we shifted fully online to pursue a new wave of journalism: an immersive user experience and digital package we have dubbed “The Project.” It combines aspects of the On the Record print magazine you know and love — our signature long-form storytelling and compelling photography — with interactive web design and in-depth videography. 

After months of virtual meetings and work sessions, interviews conducted through a computer screen, and trial and error through redesigning and rewriting, we are excited to present “Louisville Gone Viral.” This project includes three packages, all focused on topics more relevant in our city than ever.

“All Eyes On Us” dives head first into social justice issues through the lens of teens living in Louisville, KY. Our reporters covered the causes and effects of gentrification, the impact of the Breonna Taylor protests, the lingering effects of segregation in our city, and more. 

In “Behind the Screens,” we continued to cover the impact of the coronavirus, and how a shift to “life online” affects students, families, and schools. We explored what college searches during a pandemic looked like, talked to students with mental illnesses and learning disabilities about how online learning affects them, and met unsung heroes who help struggling students and families.

Finally, we bring you “Lost in the Maze:” a culmination of stories that reflect the twists, turns, dead-ends, and “light at the end of the tunnel” moments that 2020 has brought. From breaking down TikTok to trying to understand what 2020 could’ve been, our writers have been hard at work explaining how much our culture has changed because of this past year.

Although we did not expect to be delivering On the Record to you from our beds, couches, and kitchen tables, we are proud to release this project. Don’t tell anyone, but we think it’s much cooler than our usual print magazine! 

While this past year presented many unforeseen challenges, it’s solidified the importance of our role as student journalists; we know the youth of Louisville can change our future for the better. Our medium has changed, but our mission remains the same. 

As you immerse yourself in this digital project, I hope you can feel the passion and energy that went into creating “Louisville Gone Viral.” We would love to know what you think, so be sure to engage with our promotional content on all our social media (@ontherecordmag). 

Happy scrolling, clicking, watching, and reading — you’re gonna do it all, 

Lainey Holland 

Editor-in-Chief