A newsmagazine by and for the youth of Louisville

On the Record

On the Record

On the Record

Business Spotlight: Louisville’s OG Bagels – Payne Street Bakehouse Review

Payne Street Bakehouse is a community hub known for its bagels, coffee, and assortment of baked goods. Marketing Assistants Frances Fendig and Dea Rexhepi visit Payne Street to give the official OTR stamp of approval.

Restaurant: Payne Street Bakehouse

Location: 225 S Spring St, Louisville, KY 40206

Price: $ 

Phone: (502) 539-4202

Rating: ★★★★★

Hours: 

Monday-Friday: 7AM-2PM

Tuesday: Closed

Saturday and Sunday: 7:30AM-2PM

On a brisk Sunday afternoon, we pulled into the parking lot of Payne Street Bakehouse with high expectations for our upcoming lunch. As we walked in, we were immediately greeted by the warm and inviting atmosphere, which only made us more excited to try the menu. We approached the counter and were faced with the impossible decision of what to order. The menu was extensive, and after debating between a variety of bagels, pastries, salads, and wraps, we were finally ready to place our order. 

Frances: Hi I’m Frances! When we went to Payne Street Bakehouse, I got an egg salad on an everything bagel with lettuce and tomato. I have been a long time patron of Payne Street and I particularly love going with my mom on days off from school.  Although my usual order is the sesame seed bagel with veggie cream cheese, this time I decided to try something new and I loved it. I have yet to be disappointed by Payne Street. The everything bagel that I ordered was appetizing, flavorful, and fulfilling. When I return to Payne Street, I will definitely be getting something similar. 

Dea: Although this was my first time at Payne Street, to say I was excited was an understatement. I’ve heard amazing things about their bagels. I ordered a turkey sandwich on their multigrain bagel, topping it with lettuce and tomato. Although it is a simple order, many places fall short with turkey sandwiches in terms of overall flavor. This restaurant definitely did not. I was immediately impressed with the first bite. Payne Street didn’t skimp out on any of the toppings, including the turkey, so it was a very filling and flavorful sandwich, despite the bagel itself not being that large. As I’m writing this review two days later, I’m still thinking about how delicious that turkey sandwich was and when my next trip to Payne Street will be!

Upon finishing our sandwiches, we couldn’t resist going back up to the counter and looking for a dessert. There were many options available, however the chocolate chip scones stuck out to us, so we decided to split one. We took the treat to one of their outdoor tables to enjoy. Not only did the scone look delicious and fluffy, that’s exactly how it tasted. Additionally,  it was a great size for the price, even after being split in half for us to share.

Ultimately, we both had a great experience at Payne Street Bakehouse. The atmosphere of the restaurant was so cozy and perfect for lunch with a friend on a cool fall afternoon, and the staff were all really friendly. We would definitely recommend bringing a friend and paying a visit to Payne Street to sample any one of their delicious bagels and treats! Be sure to check it out if you are ever searching for a casual breakfast or lunch spot!