A newsmagazine by and for the youth of Louisville

On the Record

On the Record

On the Record

Music Monday (10/23/23): Keller Mobley

Keller Mobley, Senior Web Editor, shares some insight about the music she has been listening to recently.

Golden – My Morning Jacket

I grew up listening to this song with my Dad, but I recently rediscovered it. Golden is from My Morning Jacket’s 2003 album, It Still Moves. They are definitely my favorite band from Louisville. I love that this song feels nostalgic and has an upbeat rhythm at the same time. It’s such a good song to listen to on drives when there isn’t a cloud in the sky and the fall leaves are popping. 

Vickie – Peach Pit

It’s hard for me to pick just one Peach Pit song, but this is the one that’s been on repeat for me recently. I love to listen to Vickie on runs and while hanging out with my friends. The chorus is super catchy, which makes you pay attention to the story that’s going on throughout the song. I love songs about a person because I appreciate the idea of portraying them in musical form. 

Two Weeks – Grizzly Bear

This is another song I stole from my dad a few years ago. We used to listen to this song when we were making dinner or hanging out around the fire as a family. I’ve actually noticed this song came back into popularity recently on TikTok. Two Weeks is an annual returner on my fall playlists and it never gets old. The vocals on the song are incredible, but I also love the subtle piano that establishes the rhythm through the whole thing. Give this song a listen!

Telescope – Cage the Elephant

This is my favorite Cage the Elephant song; it’s perfect for fall. Cage the Elephant is another Kentucky-native band from Bowling Green. This song is not a happy song, but the lyrics are very meaningful, with an emphasis on self-reflection. 

Redbone – Childish Gambino

As popular as this song is, I cannot recommend it more. I listen to this song pretty much every day. Whether it’s playing while I’m on the way to school or I’m listening to it while I’m getting ready for bed, it has the best vibe. I love the slower rhythm and very catchy techno-sounding beat. 

Holdin On To Black Metal – My Morning Jacket

I wanted to include this other MMJ song I rediscovered when watching Suits. Like Golden, I used to listen to this song in the car with my sister and my parents. This was probably my sister and I’s most requested song in the car on the way to school when we were little. Holdin On To Black Metal was used perfectly in an episode of Suits (S1 Ep. 6 if you were wondering), but it is also a great song to use for an energy boost. I love the trumpets in the song too.