A newsmagazine by and for the youth of Louisville

On the Record

On the Record

On the Record

Music Monday (10/30/23): Julia May

Julia May, Senior Print Managing Editor, shares some of her favorite songs to listen to while studying.

If you’re ever a little tired of listening to brown noise while you study, here’s my top 5 study songs in no particular order. 

Wasting Time (ft. Simone Bisous)- Taylor Bennett 

“Wasting Time” is a song I would describe as mellow. The words at times are relatively fast paced, but the beat is soothing and the song as a whole provides the listener with a reflective space. It’s a perfect song to listen to while unwinding and finishing an assignment. I first heard this song when I was watching the DuPont Manual Journalism and Communications Senior tribute video, and I have been listening ever since. 

Julia- Mt. Joy

I might be biased on this one because of the song title, but I do love Mt. Joy. Their songs are always heartfelt and meaningful, and this one is no different. The combination of the guitar and the vocals create a nostalgic atmosphere that is upbeat, but not distracting when you are trying to get work done. I actually found a cover of this song on TikTok and I added it to my playlist instantly. 

I Love You So (Acoustic Version)- The Walters

This song has also recently gained popularity through TikTok. I have heard the regular version of the song, but I feel like the acoustic version provides a more emotional and relaxed feel that is perfect for studying. The acoustics on this song, particularly through use of the guitar, create a catchy and warm atmosphere that will make you want to listen to the song on repeat. 

No Surprises- Radiohead

“No Surprises” is more of a melancholic song with a ‘haunted’ melody. It is relatively somber in nature and has themes of longing for simplicity in a complex world. Although it is a catchy tune, “No Surprises” is not distracting and is an easy listen while doing other work that may require more focus. The lead singer– Thom Yorke– utilizes his unique vocals to blend the acoustics with the lyrics and although I just recently began listening, I really enjoy the song. 

California (Pacific Highway Remix)- Phantom Planet

“California” carries a lot of nostalgia for me. It’s one of those songs that I heard a lot growing up, but didn’t rediscover it until recently. One of my favorite places to visit is California, so naturally, I am a big fan of driving up the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) and seeing the passing views. This past summer, my family visited Malibu and actually stayed right off PCH and I was able to remember just how perfectly this song encapsulates the state. It’s a great song to add to your ‘study’ playlist.