A newsmagazine by and for the youth of Louisville

On the Record

On the Record

On the Record

Music Monday (12/04/23): Nora Ruscoe

Sophomore Writer Nora Ruscoe shares her favorite Christmas songs as December sets in.

Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree – Brenda Lee

Every time I hear this song I’m reminded of one of my favorite scenes in Home Alone, when he throws a one-man party in his house with random items like cardboard cutouts and a toy train. This is my family’s go-to song when it’s time to decorate cookies over at my grandparents, and usually ends in a mini karaoke session. 

Carol of the Bells – John Williams

Although it’s short, the dramatic melody of Carol of the Bells is a fun addition to my Christmas playlist. It almost feels like the last minute shopping the night of Christmas Eve, searching for a last-minute gift. The choir’s acapella is one of my favorite examples of John Williams’ ability to weave in different singing styles and sounds into one harmonious piece. 

Baby, It’s Cold Outside – Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong

There are many variations of this song, but this one is my favorite. The soothing, deep voices of Fitzgerald and Armstrong are the personification of snow falling outside, and whenever I listen to it I always want to be curled up on the couch watching Christmas specials with a warm blanket. 

Happy Xmas (War is Over) – John Lennon

I just found this song, but it quickly became one of my favorites. I love the Beatles, and John Lennon has written some other songs that I really like, so I wasn’t surprised by the beauty of it. The optimistic lyrics and choir, like vocals add to its joyous atmosphere, and is a great song to play while decorating your tree. 

Last Christmas – Wham!  

“Last Christmas” is definitely my favorite Christmas song, and it’s usually the first song I play after Thanksgiving ends. Although the lyrics describe a Christmas heartbreak, its strong drumline and sleigh bells give it an uplifting feel. Its beat is one straight out of the 80s, and always reminds me of dancing around the kitchen with my family as snow falls outside.