A newsmagazine by and for the youth of Louisville

On the Record

On the Record

On the Record

Music Monday (12/11/23): Iris Apple

Iris Apple, sophomore photographer, shares some of her favorite songs to cozy up to as the leaves fall around her. 

Snowbank Blues by The Backseat Lovers

Whenever I need to wind down, I know to select Snowbank Blues to listen to on my playlist. The calming folk tones never fail to send a wave of relaxation through me. Whether I am studying, cuddling with my cats by the fireplace, or feeling nostalgic, this song always creates a carefree feeling all around. Especially as the weather is cooling down further, this song is sure to create comfort and a sense of warmth in each space it is played in. 

Horchata by Vampire Weekend

Through the speakers in our living room, winter-time music plays every year during the holiday season. Horchata is a classic winter song in our household that I recall listening to all the time as a child. Each time I hear the first few notes, I immediately jump up to start singing with my family. The catchy lyrics are impossible to forget and never get old! 

Nellie by Dr. Dog

I remember the first time I ever listened to this song, adding it to my liked songs immediately. Although I discovered it many years ago, it will always remain one of my top favorites. As it plays, I often catch myself in the mirror, singing and dancing to the cheery beat. As true for many Dr. Dog songs, this song is sure to uplift my spirit. I can play Nellie at any time of the year, as it gives both cozy feelings and the feeling of sunshine.

Iffy by Caamp

This is the perfect song to get cozy too. The light sounds of guitar in the background create a feeling in me that I can only describe as peaceful. The vocals are very quiet, which feels calming. This does not mean this song is monotone, in fact, it is the opposite, with a joyful chorus. I love playing this song in the background while working on homework or curling up into a blanket.

Nickel by Flipturn

With Flipturn’s recognizable upbeat tune, this song can always bring up my mood at any time. When my sister comes into town, our late-night car rides always end with our favorite songs on full volume, including Nickel. With a unique beat and energetic bridge, it is the perfect song to listen to when I feel like singing my heart out.