A newsmagazine by and for the youth of Louisville

On the Record

On the Record

On the Record

Music Monday (12/15/23): Sadie Eichenberger

Sadie Eichenberger, sophomore photographer, shares some of her favorite songs to blast on her headphones as winter break approaches.

You’re So Vain – Carly Simon 

This song was first introduced to me at the beginning of last year, at a time of my life where I was constantly at home sick. One of those days, my mom turned on the movie, How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days, and I instantly fell in love with the movie. In the film, there is a scene where the main character sings along to this song and ever since, the track has had a spot on my playlist. 

I Say No – Carrie Hope Fletcher + The West End Cast of Heathers 

My entire life, I have had an unhealthy obsession with Broadway and theater, and that love has only intensified in the last few years. The more musicals I am cast in, the more music I fall in love with. This song entered my life when I discovered the movie Heathers, and then the musical. This song acts as a female rage soundtrack for me, and I don’t think it will ever get old. 

All Time Low – Jon Bellion

This song was the soundtrack of summer car rides and traffic jams when I was growing up. It was a song we would scream while all the windows were down, and it remains a favorite of mine to this day.

Concussion – Girlhouse 

There is not another song I have encountered thus far that I connect to on the level that I connect with this one. The song tells a story in which a girl gets in a car wreck, and the songs lyrics are her thoughts as she lays on the ground in the aftermath. The song is so deeply existential, and yet I think it’s realistic. Bad things happen to everyone, and sometimes we just have to lay on the ground and consider life for a minute.

All Too Well (10 Minute Version) – Taylor Swift 

This track is not only a song I sing as I dance around my kitchen at one o’clock in the morning, but one that also reminds me of my family. My cousins and I have always had a love for Taylor Swift, and we went to see The Eras Tour movie too many times to count. Yelling this song in a nearly empty theater this thanksgiving is a memory I will always remember.