A newsmagazine by and for the youth of Louisville

On the Record

On the Record

On the Record

Music Monday (2/12/24): Kendall Geller

Copy Editor Kendall Geller shares some of her favorite songs by Black artists for Black History Month.

“Crying, Laughing, Loving, Lying” by Labi Siffre

The ‘70s is by far my favorite decade for music. I grew up listening to a lot of it with my dad, so songs from the era tend to stick out to me. I first heard “Crying, Laughing, Loving, Lying” when I watched “The Holdovers” (one of the best movies of the year in my opinion) and I have had it on repeat since. This song makes me feel super nostalgic with Labi Siffre’s soothing voice and melodic guitar. I listen to it when I’m doing homework or when I need to unwind. Siffre made music predominantly in the 70s and 80s in the queer folk-rock genre. If you don’t think you’ve heard of Siffre, you probably have, as his music has been sampled by artists such as Kanye West and Eminem. 

“Gone Girl” by SZA

“SOS” is definitely in my top 5 albums from the past year. SZA’s natural voice is so incredible and impossibly perfect, so I think I would like any song that she sings for that fact. But, “Gone Girl” showcases her vocal strength in a way I don’t think many of the other songs on “SOS” accomplish. The backing vocals and the ways she harmonizes with herself make the song all the more enjoyable — but honestly, any song from her discography is worth a listen.

“Sober” by Childish Gambino

I don’t listen to much of Childish Gambino’s 2014 album, “Kauai,” anymore, but luckily, I rediscovered this song when I was searching for things to include in this story! To me, “Sober” feels mellow, with an almost lofi-sounding instrumental track. This shifts toward the end of the song, where there is a change in tone and a sort of jarring beat drop. The songs on “Kauai” match the overall monotonous vibe of this song, which differs from Gambino’s largely energetic style portrayed in songs like “IV. Sweatpants.” Gambino, or Donald Glover, has been making music since 2008, but his talents span across acting, writing, and producing. I think the show “Community,” which Glover stars in, is hilarious, so I’d highly recommend it, along with anything else on his discography. 

Lovin’ Me (feat. Phoebe Bridgers) by Kid Cudi

I love Kid Cudi and Phoebe Bridgers as individual artists, but what really ties this song together are the backing vocals. Combined with the deep instrumentals and rich melody, Cudi is able to deliver the emotion reflected in the lyrics. I love songs that showcase an artist’s vocal strength, and for me “Lovin’ Me” is that song off of “Man on the Moon III: The Chosen.” 

“Bring it on Home to Me” by Sam Cooke

Finishing with another oldie! I’ve been listening to “Bring it on Home to Me” with my dad for as long as I can remember. There have been various renditions of this song over the years, but Sam Cooke’s original 1962 version is by far my favorite. The production gives it that ‘60s soul feel that is synonymous with both the lyrics and the instrumental track. Cooke is commonly known as the “King of Soul,” a nickname that lends itself to the emotion he conveys in all of his songs. “Bring it on Home to Me” is timeless and has a permanent spot on my all-time favorites list.