A newsmagazine by and for the youth of Louisville

On the Record

On the Record

On the Record

Music Monday (2/26/24): Zoe Huguley

As a new driver, Zoe Huguley, sophomore writer, shares her favorite songs to listen to in the car.

Dixieland Delight by Alabama

This song is the small part of the common ground between me and my mom’s music tastes. My mom enjoys this song because it was so popular in her childhood living in rural Kentucky. I like it because I’m a big fan of true country music. We blast it when we drive together. 

I Serve The Base by Future

This is where my Mom and I’s music taste diverts. Driving over 50 MPH makes me anxious, so playing it on the highway just feels right. Because who can listen to Future and drive slow? Future does serve the bass with this song, and his deep voice always hits. 

She’s Electric by Oasis

I’m a big accent mimicker and rock lover. So, to the annoyance of anyone around me, the britpop legends Oasis is one of my favorite bands. One of their more singable songs is this one, so its a favorite in the car. With its catchy British accented vocals, light organ playing, and classic electric guitar whats not to like? 

Get the Party Started by P!nk

This song talks about how she’s driving up to a party in a star studded car, so how can you not drive and listen to it and feel cool? P!nk was my first concert, and this song from her second album “Missundaztood” is almost a time capsule to the 2000s. I could totally see this song playing in a movie like Easy A or American Pie. 

Smooth by Santana & Rob Thomas

This has been my favorite song since I was 12. The Latin-infused rock song has been on about every playlist of mine and has made me smile with every listen. You’d think it’d become overplayed, but it’s just that good. However my only complaint is that I can get caught up in trying to mimic Rob Thomas’ voice when singing and forgetting to use my turn signal…more than once.