A newsmagazine by and for the youth of Louisville

On the Record

On the Record

On the Record

Music Monday (3/18/24): Lucy Vanderhoff

Lucy Vanderhoff, junior Assignment Editor, shares spring music for this week’s Music Monday.

To me, springtime has always represented rebirth and reflection. These songs are the epitome of spring: birds chirping at an early dawn, rain through the sunshine, tulips and irises blooming in planters while crocuses pop through sidewalk cracks. These songs are my soundtrack as I grab a lavender iced latte, visit a farmer’s market, or browse at an art festival and refresh my mind following a dark winter. 

Prom by SZA

SZA’s album “CTRL” has been a global favorite since it’s release, but “Prom” is not one of the more talked about tracks. With spring being “prom season” for many, the title already brings that sunshine, fast-paced feeling that comes with the end of the school year. The lyrics of “Prom” reflect the changes and maturation that come with both spring and maturing into a young adult. The reference to “The Wizard of Oz” only adds to the color and radiance of the song, all about change and exploration. 

Man on the Moon by Zella Day

To me, this song is peak springtime. The harmonica and keys are reminiscent of hits from the 50s-70s that appeared in childhood movie soundtracks. Day’s backing vocals emulate the dream-like, walking-on-air feeling of springtime. Though the lyrics speak of rain, they do so with whimsy that matches the feeling of April showers. 

Treacherous Doctor – Live from Henson Studios by Wallows

Like “Prom,” “Treacherous Doctor” reflects on themes of growing up, relationships, and maturing. Wallows has always felt very “spring” to me, but this song in particular reflects the duality of spring and nature’s regeneration. The Henson Studios version features violin throughout the song, an addition that gives the song a more raw and down-to-earth feeling that perfectly captures the mild air of spring. 

Flowers in your Hair by The Lumineers

Have you really lived if you haven’t put flowers in your hair? To me, Americana and folk scream spring, and The Lumineers absolutely bring it with “Flowers in Your Hair.” Released on The Lumineers debut album, this track’s upbeat nostalgia brings my mood up in an instant. This song transports me to a sunny field with a mild breeze. 

Underdressed at the Symphony by Faye Webster

Faye Webster recently released her fifth album, “Underdressed at the Symphony,” easily her most experimental yet. The album is dreamy, slow, and warm, a swirling watercolor in her discography of oil paintings. The title track of this album is easily one of my favorites because of one specific moment. About a minute and a half in, the song swells with the sounds of a symphony, which leave just as soon after. To me, this song represents spontaneity and the feeling of not belonging. 

Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy) by John Lennon 

The opening chords of this song instantly whisk me away to walking at Cherokee Park or biking at the Parklands. The song is reminiscent of a lullaby, Lennon describing his love for his son. The background sounds of the wind, ocean, and bells ringing only add to the free feeling, whisking the listener to their “happy place.” This song oozes with love and compassion.